Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving: Prep and Execution

We started yesterday evening prepping for our feast today.Ethan was very excited about making turkeys out of pine cones. We had been collecting the pine cones this week after school as we walked through the park.
I found the idea from another blog that I enjoy reading.
Next on the agenda was prepping our turkey. I bought a breast since I was sure we couldn't eat a whole turkey and found a recipe for a brine here.
I tweaked it slightly since we were only doing a breast.
And baby loved helping.
It was by far the best thing I could have done for the turkey. It was so incredibly juicy and flavorful. I feel like I have just been introduced to the secret of a good turkey.
After we put the turkey in the refrigerator to bathe over night we decided to plug and unplug the Christmas lights over and over.Talk about wild......we know how to cut loose over here. Watch out!
And then this morning, our Thanksgiving really got started.
So what was on our menu: Turkey, Cornbread Dressing (Courtesy of Grandma Dottie), Cranberry Sauce, Sweet Potato Casserole (Courtesy of Aunt Jan), Green Beans (Courtesy of Grandpa Lewis), Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Rolls.
Turns out when I throw all the low cholesterol, low fat stuff out the window - I am a really good cook. I rocked this Thanksgiving. Everything tasted awesome. Chris even said "do you know why I wanted to have lunch instead of dinner?" I, of course, said no. He replied "so I can eat it all again for dinner." And those of you who know Chris, know he hates leftovers if that tells you anything.Before we started eating, Ethan said "I think we should all say something we are thankful for." He was thankful for mommy making his Thanksgiving dinner. Owen, well he was just thankful for mommy. I am doing something right. I just know it. Stay the course, mama.
And to top that off, he asked me if he could say his own blessing without the "God is Great" bit. It was perfect. For dessert, I made a pecan pie with whiskey maple cream sauce that will make you want to slap your mama. Whatever that means. It was a-mazing! The sauce is what put it over the top. I think I could have just ate the sauce by itself. Chris said I should make this and try it on lots of different things - mainly cheesecake. :-) I was thinking bread pudding would be good.
It wasn't long after we sat down to eat that baby started fading on us. Chris put the little to bed and we finished a wonderful meal together. Wonderful indeed.

I plan on printing out each and every recipe and keeping them together because there isn't one thing that I will change. My children are happy. My husband is upstairs puttering in "his room" and I am getting ready to look at all the black friday ads. To say I am thankful just doesn't quite explain it. A better description would be to close your eyes, take a deep breath, feel the tears of joy just beneath the surface - exhale and know God is Good. God is so Good.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: