Friday, November 13, 2009

What Can You Do This Holiday Season?

"She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy." Proverbs 31:20

Yesterday at work we received an email about someone putting up the Angel Tree in our department and I knew right off I would be participating. What I didn't know is how much I would want to give. This is a family of three; a mom and two baby girls. A 3 year old and a 1 year old. I took some time this morning looking over the tree at the various things they were asking for and I began to cry. They want shoes. They wants clothes. They want a Dora the Explorer pillow and blanket. Dare I even tell you what Ethan wants for Christmas this year? A Nintendo DS and a gum ball machine! Hardly necessities. And Owen sees every plastic, shiny toy in the 5 Target toy books we have received so far and thinks he has to have that very toy - all of them! We are so incredibly blessed. Just this morning while pulling into the parking lot I was listening to the radio and singing to the top of my lungs "God is Great, Beer is good and People are crazy!" And you know what, God is Great (beer is awful and people are indeed crazy)! He is so great because he has blessed Chris and I with wonderful jobs, a beautiful, warm home, 3 amazing children and the love of family that I cannot explain. So this holiday, I am buying shoes for a little 1 year old and her sister who love Dora the Explorer just like Owen does. And I am buying mom a cozy pair of bedroom slippers because moms love something warm and comforting on their aching feet. And I will most likely go grab two more ornaments off the Angel Tree because every little girl deserves to have a baby doll under the tree for Christmas. I believe as a mother we all want the best for our children. We all want to give them the world. To see that sparkle in their eye on Christmas morning. I cannot imagine what I would be feeling if I couldn't do that for my children. Now, all the wonder aside, Ethan is definitely NOT getting a Nintendo DS, but his Christmas will be full of magic and excitement all the same. I will see to that. And I will also see to it that this family has a little magic of their own for Christmas.

There are so many ways we can give this holiday. I know Ethan's school is also sponsoring several families, their is another program here at work that is sponsoring elderly people at a local nursing home. There is the Samaritan's Purse program which is always a wonderful cause (they are taking donations now). There are always food pantries, shelters, etc. Kelly, of Kelly's Korner, is in El Salvador right now doing her part for the children of El Salvador. You should take time to read her posts about her journey. As a mom, it will make your heart ache for these moms and children and again open your eyes to how incredibly blessed we are.

Now go forth and spread joy!

Give, and it will be given to you. Luke 6:38

No comments: