Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Babylon

I don't try to tease myself that I know more about the bible than I do. Truth be known, I was the first to win the snicker bar when I was a kid and we played scripture look up in Sunday school, but those days are long gone now. I still know the bible starts with Genesis and Exodus and I know the start of the New Testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) but aside that I am all over the TOC in the front of my bible. I can tell you "stories" of the bible but can't go into much detail. I know about Noah and the Ark, David and Goliath, Sampson and Delilah and Daniel in the Lions Den. But those titles are close to the extent of my knowledge. Hence one of my driving factors in signing up for bible studies at church. With everything in life, from books to movies to the people I try to surround myself with, I want to learn.

We just started our new study - Daniel, Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy.
It continues to amazes me how God presents himself in my life just enough to let me know He is there. Always listening. Always paying attention. Always there. I have posted recently about the over abundance of STUFF we have in this house. This HUGE house! And believe me I am not saying that so that you will hear "wow - Tricia has a big house! wow - Tricia has a lot of stuff!" I am saying that because it is far more than what we NEED. And honestly, it borders embarrassment. One of the reasons I decided to sponsor Michelle was because we have so much, why shouldn't we be helping others? It just makes sense. As I get older, I replay things that I have heard come out of my mouth and I wish I could take them back out of sheer embarrassment.

Anyway, back to Babylon and Daniel. Babylon is the equivalent of complete overindulgence. The Babylonians loved all that was flashy and beautiful and showy. Their king promoted this lifestyle by example. Beth Moore is going to show us over the next 12 weeks how we in the western world live in our own Babylon. The choices we have are down right overwhelming. Stop and think for just a second, how many ways do you think you could order a coffee at Starbucks? Crazy isn't it? And that is JUST a cup of coffee! Coffee, people! This study is going to prove to be difficult for me I believe. Because although I say we have too much, live too large, etc. I am the first one to step up to the register to make purchases, typically for the children that I claim are overindulged. As a matter of fact, the Easter Bunny just went shopping today. No doubt, I am going to struggle with this study, but I think I will be better for it after the 12 weeks have passed. Just because you can have it, doesn't mean you should.

Everything is permissible for me — but not everything is beneficial.
1 Corinthians 6:12

Photobucket

1 comment:

Cary Hairbows said...

I am so crazy about Beth Moore! My Esther study has been awesome! Enjoy your study. Hugs!!