Sunday, March 7, 2010

What's Holding You Back?

A few months ago Kelly from Kelly's Korner, traveled to El Salvador with Compassion International on a mission trip. She blogged her trip while she was there, posted amazing photos and heart wrenching stories in the attempt to have others sponsor a child through Compassion. I followed her trip, was moved and tempted to sign up to sponsor a beautiful child from El Salvador, and then I don't know what happened. I just didn't follow thru. (For those of you who have never heard of Compassion, you should really go to their web site and see all the amazing things they are doing and they are doing it ALL in the name of Jesus Christ.)

Now, several months later, Compassion is on another mission trip, this time to Kenya. This time the bloggers that are there (well there are many, but the two that I read the most) are MckMama (Jennifer) and Pastor Ryan. I have been reading about their trip. The poverty that these poor children live in, their homes, their playgrounds, all of it. I have talked to Chris about sponsoring a child before (during the El Salvador era) and he flippantly said "I will think about it" and I let it go. Again, a few nights ago I brought it up and again he laughed me off. Before church today I proclaimed, that probably warrants all caps because I was frustrated with him, I PROCLAIMED "I am going to sponsor a child from Kenya. I know you don't like it. But I am doing it." (HA! Take that!) Well, as things usually happen when I PROCLAIM things, he doesn't like it. He clammed up, shut down, wouldn't talk (this is my cue that he is upset with me). We continued getting ready for church and all the while I am having a dialogue in my head "I don't get it. He spends $XXX on a projector tv thingy and all I want is $38 a month for a child to EAT. To EAT for goodness sakes!" Oh you should have heard the conversation I was having with myself. Minutes went by, I calmed down and figured out a way to tell him why I was so frustrated with him. And he admitted to thinking the whole child sponsor thing is a scam. "The kid only gets $5 and the rest goes to admin fees." Hmmm......ok, so I told him to read up on them to which he said if I read their web site it will just be their spin. So I told him to go to the Better Business Bureau and see what they say. He said ok, and we let it go.

Fast forward to our ride to church. As we were pulling in the parking lot I said I sure do hope Pastor Keith talks about taking care of others today. I would love to hear a good sermon on what Jesus thinks about taking care of those that are less fortunate. (*wink* *wink*)

Hold you hats people, I can't make this stuff up.

1 John 3:17-18
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

James 2:15-16
If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?

Now you try to tell me the Holy Spirit isn't alive and well. To put these scriptures in every day terms he said "If you have food on your table. Yes. If you have clothes on your back. Yes. If you have shelter over your head. Yes. Then you ought to be giving to others who don't." Amen!

Internet, meet Michelle.
Michelle lives with her mother. At home, duties include running errands and cleaning. Her mother is sometimes employed as a seller in the market. There are 4 children in the family.

As part of Compassion's ministry, Michelle participates in church activities. She is also in primary school where her performance is average. Jumping rope and playing ball games are her favorite activities.

Michelle's birthday is July 7, 2003, so I know I won't forget her birthday. Please add Michelle to your daily prayers. I hope those of you that are family, will welcome her just as I have. I am so excited to start sharing letters with her and getting to know her better.




Photobucket

No comments: