Saturday, March 13, 2010

crazy love

I started a new book today. I bought it over Christmas when we were in Huntington, but I tend to be very hot/cold when reading. It also has a lot to do with how much sleep the children are getting which has a direct correlation to how much sleep I am getting. So with the boys visiting their MiMi and PawPaw this week I thought it would be a good time to pick up a book. So I started Crazy Love by Francis Chan. I don't know much about Francis Chan other than he is a preacher in southern California and he tends to be a very shoot straight from the hip kind of preacher, meaning he may not always win you over with a sugar coated sermon. But from what I have seen and read of him, I like his style. Here is one of his videos. Very inspiring with a good sense of humor. Check it out. (by the way - scroll to the bottom to stop the music player to watch the video)




There are many more on youtube.com that I may start posting randomly for a good dose of honesty. But back to the book Crazy Love. I am about half way through it and he talks a lot about being a lukewarm Christian. Calling yourself a Christian but behaving in the manner that he describes in the video above. (and by the way, when I say "calling yourself a Christian" I am not talking about YOU or YOU or YOU. Well, I am, but I am also talking about ME and ME and ME. I am no better just because I type it, just wanted to clear that up.) So one thing I plan on doing this week in my bible study class is asking the women if they would be interested in going to a homeless shelter once a month or however often for a beauty night. Take supplies with us to give women (or men for that manner) pedicures or manicures or wash their hair, their faces, whatever. Just make them feel clean and good about themselves. In John 13:1-17, John talks about Jesus washing the disciples feet the night before one of them would betray him. You can read the passage here at www.biblegateway.com. Now, I am in no way thinking I am trying to mimic Jesus or that I am that great. Not hardly. But I do know that this is an act of servitude. I know in the past I have been a lukewarm Christian who picks up a check book and sends money. And now, I want to do more. I wrote earlier about how this makes me uncomfortable and that hasn't changed, but I hope to act on it and over time change me. So please be praying for me this week that God will work in my life and I won't chicken out. Because chickening out sure does seem easy right about now.

Photobucket

No comments: