Friday, March 12, 2010

What Made You Act?

In all of my excitement over sponsoring Michelle, I have told a few people here and there in addition to those of you who read it here, straight from the horses mouth. I have gotten mixed responses. Some have looked at me like I have 2 heads. Some think I am taking this "church" thing a bit far. And then there have been some that seem excited about it.

So why did I do it? Why now? It isn't that Chris and I have so much money we can afford to throw it out the window. No. We are just two people who have been truly blessed with good jobs who can afford to take some of our fortune and pass it on. And when I say fortune, please don't take that literal. Personally, I think of fortune as gold and silver. Rubies and sapphires. Beach houses and mountain houses. BMWs and Mercedes. And Chris and I are no where close to having those things. Quite the contrary. But I also don't feel like those are things that we need. Ok - I admit I do want a 5 series BMW one day, but I am not so sure I will ever take the plunge and do it.

You see, I believe to my core that it is our responsibility to care for others. Responsibility, that's a big word. Whether those others are our neighbors next door, the homeless in urban areas or those that were born in Kenya in poverty. I have always been that way. A giver. It used to be animals and now I suppose since I have children, it is children that I ache for. I look around at the things that my children have and I shake my head. I hope the path that I am beginning to walk with my family is going to be one of growth and joy. One that will allow us all to see how much better it is to give than to receive. I want my childrens eyes to open and see how truly blessed they are, not only by their material possessions, but by being surrounded by a family that loves and cares for them.

Not that long ago, I had the opinion of why should I help someone all the way across the world when there are people here in my town that need my help? And that is true. Why should I? Why should you? Well, ask yourself, what are you doing for those people in need in your town? Because when I asked myself that question, the answer was a resounding, nothing. So although I could say why should I help someone across the world when I can help here, truth was, I wasn't helping here either. Yet this is precisely what God wants.

Prior to having children I would talk about how I wanted my children to visit and volunteer in soup kitchens with me. I wanted them to see how others live, to be humbled. I think back on that now and admit, I haven't even been to a soup kitchen. Embarrassing really to have such desires of wanting to share that with your children, yet you have never taken that step yourself. When I read the book Same Kind of Different As Me, I think it forever changed the way I feel about homeless people and I am on my own journey right now sorting myself out as to how God wants me to proceed. Homelessness is something that makes me incredibly uncomfortable which is precisely the reason I think I need to confront it. I believe it is those things that make you uneasy which will help you experience the most growth. And I told y'all a few posts back that I want to be THAT Christian, you know THAT one. The one that God sees me coming and yells "Peter, open the gate! That girl wants to see her momma!" I want to make a difference. I want to stand before my God and have Him be proud of me.

So for those people that think I am taking this "church" thing too far! Yay! Because THAT is exactly what I want.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for recommending Same Kind of Different as Me on your blog! I work with Thomas Nelson, and we would love to follow your blog and hear what readers think of this moving book. I also want to let you know that Ron and Denver have just released a new book What Difference Do It Make? which updates readers on their activity since the first book came out. Please contact me with your mailing address if you are interested in receiving a complimentary copy of the new book for review on your site at your convenience.

Thanks!

Jodi Hughes
JHughes@thomasnelson.com

Glennon said...

preach it sister.
love you.