Monday, March 29, 2010

His Royal Coolness

Before my mother passed away she used to tell me she was worried about whether or not I would ever meet a man that was truly good to me but at the same time strong enough to be a man that I would fall for. I had a habit (and a very bad habit at that) of falling for the bad guy. I would bounce between good guy and bad guy almost as often as a tennis ball in the US Open. And then I bounced into Chris and somehow he has tolerated me thus far.

I had a terrible time turning my back on animals when we first started dating. It was nothing for Chris to come over and there be an extra cat or dog or both. As a matter of fact the day that I moved in with him I stopped on the side of the interstate and picked up a HUGE cat that I promptly named Jedi and made him a home in one of Chris's bathrooms. He never blinked. I don't know if he was so smitten with me at the time that he was afraid to say something or what, but he never did. I think he was always fairly certain that I would find a home for the cat or dog and that home would not be his. Over the next several years I would call him from shelters or even out in the middle of no where on the side of the road telling him about a cat or a dog that I just couldn't leave behind and he would always say ok.

As time has progressed I have slowly gotten out of the animal rescue business but I still ache for the needy. Whether that be animal or human. A few weeks ago I had to go to Walmart during my lunch hour to pick up something and often times when I go to this particular Walmart there is a homeless man standing on the corner. I typically drive by, try not to make eye contact, don't get involved - you know? But really - is that the way Jesus would want us to live? Is that what He did?

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." ~ Matthew 25:40

So this day was different. I told myself driving to the store, if he is out there, I am going to do something, I don't know what, but something. And he was! Did ya'll hear me? He was! And I got nervous. Nudge, nudge - that's the Holy Spirit working. So I parked, walked into the store and I bought him snacks, fruit, juice, a chocolate bunny and a bible. Now don't start thinking "yeah, right she bought him a bible - how holy of her." I bought it so that he would know it was the Christian thing to do. I wasn't doing it because I pitied him. I did it because it was the right thing to do. I left Walmart and pulled up next to him at the light. I handed him the bag full of things and he said real southern like "Honey, did you buy me something to eat?" And not derogatory like - that's what we southerners do, call each other honey. I said yes, sir. He asked if it was apple juice and I said no, fruit punch (but now I know he likes apple juice). He said thank you and I drove off. Next time, I plan on getting his name.

I told Chris about it later that night and again, he didn't even blink. He is just that cool.

Now fast forward to last week. I told him on Thursday that I wanted to take in two children from the Children of the World Choir. I told him a little about the organization, and that the children were either from Uganda, Nepal or Philippines and again, you guessed it, he didn't even blink. So Sunday I picked up these two little girls and Chris has done wonderfully with them. I really think he does better than me because he doesn't even try. They speak and he listens. He is so relaxed and at ease with himself and quite honestly, just more comfortable in his own skin than myself. I mentioned yesterday about their accents and how I have to say "huh???" at least 3 times before I get what they are saying. Not Chris. He has actually been my interpreter a couple of times.

He is just so cool. The coolest of cool. And not cool like high school cool. But cool like take your breath, wow, kind of cool. I could not imagine a better, more perfect husband for me than him. I am so grateful for whatever it was that brought us together. Without him, I would be no where close to the person I am today.

I love you, honey!

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
~1 Corinthians 13:13

Photobucket

No comments: