Thursday, January 14, 2010

Learning to Pray

I have been saying bedtime prayers with Ethan for awhile now. We have progressed from "Now I lay me down to sleep...." to more personal prayers and tonight I asked him who he wanted to pray for in an effort to help him think about those people he loves. He started naming people and one by one we said a prayer for them. Aunt Jan, Mimi, Pawpaw, Chad, Kourtney, Cam, and Kara (yes, he really mentioned Kourtney and Kara without prompting, very sweet I thought). And then I said it's time for bed and he said but we didn't pray for Eliza or Daddy. So I told him I said 7 prayers and he could pray for Eliza and Daddy. He said he didn't know how and I said there isn't a right or wrong way, just talk to God like you talk to mommy. He said he didn't know what to say and I told him whatever his heart told him to say. He kind of shrugged his shoulders without saying anything else and then crawled over to his pillow. As I leaned down to hug him good night he said "I only know sight words. I don't know prayer words." :-)

Dear God,
Do you know sight words? Ethan is just learning, but he will get there.

Love,
Tricia

Photobucket

No comments: